spoken English online

How to Learn English from Scratch: A Complete Guide for Beginners (2026) | A Simple 90-Day English Learning Roadmap

 

How to Learn English from Scratch: A Complete Guide for Beginners (2026)

Do you want to learn English but don't know where to start? Are you afraid of speaking English because you make mistakes? Don't worry! You can learn English from scratch with the right strategy, daily practice, and patience.

How to Learn English from Scratch: A Complete Guide for Beginners (2026) | A Simple 90-Day English Learning Roadmap


English is an important language for education, jobs, business, communication, and personal development. You do not need to join an expensive course to start learning English. You can begin at home with a notebook, a smartphone, and 30 minutes of daily practice.

In this complete guide, you will learn how to improve your English speaking, reading, writing, listening, grammar, and vocabulary step by step.

1. Start with Basic English Words

If you are a beginner, start by learning common English words used in daily life. Do not try to memorize hundreds of difficult words in one day.

Learn 10 new words every day and use them in simple sentences.

English WordHindi MeaningExample Sentence
EatखानाI eat rice.
DrinkपीनाI drink water.
GoजानाI go to school.
ComeआनाPlease come here.
Readपढ़नाI read a book.
WriteलिखनाI write a letter.
SpeakबोलनाI speak English.
LearnसीखनाI learn English.
Workकाम करनाI work every day.
Helpमदद करनाPlease help me.

Practice tip: Write each word in your notebook and make one new sentence with it.

2. Learn Basic English Grammar

Grammar helps you make correct sentences. Start with simple grammar rules instead of studying everything at once.

Learn Is, Am, and Are

Use these words to describe people, places, and things.

  • I am a student. — मैं एक विद्यार्थी हूँ।

  • He is my friend. — वह मेरा दोस्त है।

  • She is happy. — वह खुश है।

  • You are intelligent. — आप बुद्धिमान हैं।

  • They are ready. — वे तैयार हैं।

Learn Has, Have, and Had

  • I have a book. — मेरे पास एक किताब है।

  • She has a pen. — उसके पास एक पेन है।

  • We have a car. — हमारे पास एक कार है।

  • I had a bicycle. — मेरे पास एक साइकिल थी।

Understand Basic Tenses

Tenses help you talk about the present, past, and future.

Present: I play cricket. (मैं क्रिकेट खेलता हूँ।)

Past: I played cricket. (मैंने क्रिकेट खेला।)

Future: I will play cricket. (मैं क्रिकेट खेलूँगा।)

Start with simple present, simple past, and simple future before moving to more advanced grammar topics.

3. Practice Daily Use English Sentences

Learning complete sentences is one of the easiest ways to start speaking English.

Here are 15 useful sentences for beginners.

  1. How are you? — आप कैसे हैं?

  2. I am fine. — मैं ठीक हूँ।

  3. What is your name? — आपका नाम क्या है?

  4. My name is Ravi. — मेरा नाम रवि है।

  5. Where do you live? — आप कहाँ रहते हैं?

  6. I live in Bihar. — मैं बिहार में रहता हूँ।

  7. What are you doing? — आप क्या कर रहे हैं?

  8. I am studying. — मैं पढ़ाई कर रहा हूँ।

  9. Please help me. — कृपया मेरी मदद करें।

  10. I don't understand. — मुझे समझ नहीं आया।

  11. Please speak slowly. — कृपया धीरे बोलिए।

  12. Can you repeat that? — क्या आप उसे दोहरा सकते हैं?

  13. I am learning English. — मैं अंग्रेज़ी सीख रहा हूँ।

  14. I will try again. — मैं फिर से कोशिश करूँगा।

  15. Thank you very much. — आपका बहुत-बहुत धन्यवाद।

Read these sentences aloud at least three times every day.

4. Speak English Every Day

Many learners understand English but hesitate to speak. The best way to overcome this problem is to practice speaking regularly.

You do not need a perfect accent or perfect grammar to begin speaking.

Try these simple activities:

  • Speak to yourself in English for five minutes.

  • Describe what you are doing.

  • Read an English paragraph aloud.

  • Record your voice on your smartphone.

  • Practice conversations with a friend.

  • Use AI conversation tools for speaking practice.

For example, while getting ready in the morning, say:

“I am waking up. I am brushing my teeth. I am taking a bath. Now I am getting ready for work.”

This simple activity helps you connect English words with everyday actions.

5. Improve Your English Listening Skills

Listening helps you understand how English words are pronounced and how sentences are used in real conversations.

You can improve your listening skills by:

  1. Watching beginner-level English videos.

  2. Listening to short English stories.

  3. Watching videos with English subtitles.

  4. Repeating sentences after the speaker.

  5. Listening to the same short audio more than once.

Start with slow, easy English. As your understanding improves, gradually listen to normal conversations.

6. Read Simple English Every Day

Reading helps you learn new vocabulary, understand sentence structures, and improve your writing.

As a beginner, read:

  • Short English stories

  • Simple news articles

  • Children's stories

  • English conversations

  • Short paragraphs about daily life

Do not stop at every unfamiliar word. First, try to understand the general meaning. Look up important words afterward.

Example: My Daily Routine

“My name is Ravi. I wake up early in the morning. I brush my teeth and take a bath. Then I eat breakfast. I go to work every day. In the evening, I spend time with my family. At night, I read a book and go to sleep.”

Read the paragraph aloud and try writing a similar paragraph about your own routine.

7. Improve Your English Writing Skills

Writing helps you remember vocabulary and understand grammar.

Begin with five simple sentences every day.

For example, write about:

  • Your family

  • Your school or workplace

  • Your daily routine

  • Your hobbies

  • Your hometown

  • Your future goals

After writing, check your spelling, grammar, and sentence structure. You can also ask a teacher or an AI writing assistant to explain your mistakes.

Do not simply copy corrected sentences. Understand why a correction was made.

8. Follow a 30-Minute Daily English Study Plan

You do not need to study for several hours every day. Consistent practice is more useful than studying for a long time only once a week.

TimeActivity
5 minutesLearn new vocabulary
5 minutesPractice grammar
5 minutesRead English aloud
10 minutesSpeaking and listening practice
5 minutesWrite five sentences

Follow this routine daily and adjust it as your skills improve.

9. A Simple 90-Day English Learning Roadmap

Days 1–30: Build Your Foundation

Focus on the English alphabet and pronunciation, common words, basic sentence structures, is/am/are, has/have, and daily-use sentences.

Goal: Understand and create simple English sentences.

Days 31–60: Improve Speaking and Grammar

Practice tenses, questions, short conversations, listening exercises, and speaking about everyday activities.

Goal: Communicate using simple English in familiar situations.

Days 61–90: Build Confidence and Fluency

Read short stories, write paragraphs, practice longer conversations, learn useful phrases, and speak about your experiences.

Goal: Become more comfortable communicating in English and identify the areas that need further practice.

Remember that 90 days is a useful practice period, not a guarantee of fluency. Your progress depends on your starting level, practice quality, and consistency.

10. Common Mistakes to Avoid While Learning English

Mistake 1: Being Afraid of Making Mistakes

Mistakes are a normal part of learning. Use them to understand what you need to improve.

Mistake 2: Memorizing Grammar Without Speaking

Grammar is useful, but you also need to use it in real sentences and conversations.

Mistake 3: Learning Too Many Words at Once

Learn a manageable number of words and revise them regularly.

Mistake 4: Translating Every Sentence Word by Word

Try learning complete phrases and sentence patterns instead of translating every word separately.

Mistake 5: Practicing Only Occasionally

A short daily routine is often easier to maintain than an irregular, intensive study schedule.

11. Free Ways to Practice English at Home

You can start learning English without spending much money.

  • Use free beginner-level English lessons on YouTube.

  • Read simple English stories and educational articles.

  • Practice with a language-learning app.

  • Record and review your own speaking.

  • Join an English conversation group.

  • Use free AI tools to practice conversations and receive explanations.

Always check whether an app or service requires payment for advanced features.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

1. Can I learn English from scratch at home?

Yes. You can begin at home by learning basic vocabulary, practicing grammar, reading simple texts, listening to English, and speaking every day.

2. How many days does it take to learn English?

There is no fixed number of days. You may learn basic sentences relatively quickly, but comfortable conversation and advanced fluency generally require continued practice over months or longer.

3. How can I speak English without fear?

Start with short sentences, practice aloud, record your voice, and speak with supportive people. Focus on communicating clearly rather than speaking perfectly.

4. How many English words should I learn daily?

Start with 5–10 useful words per day. Revise previous words and use the new ones in your own sentences.

5. Can I learn English without a teacher?

Yes, you can learn many English skills independently using books, videos, online lessons, and conversation practice. A teacher can still help you identify mistakes and improve faster in areas where you struggle.

6. What is the best way to improve spoken English?

Combine daily speaking, listening, vocabulary revision, and useful sentence practice. Real conversations and regular feedback can help you improve.

7. Which skill should beginners learn first?

Start with common words, pronunciation, and simple sentence structures. Develop listening, speaking, reading, and writing together rather than ignoring any one skill.

Conclusion

Learning English from scratch is possible when you follow a simple plan and practice regularly. Start with basic words, learn common sentence structures, listen to easy English, read short paragraphs, and speak a little every day.

Do not compare your progress with others. Focus on improving one step at a time.

Your English learning journey starts today. Practice every day, learn from your mistakes, and keep moving forward!

For more beginner-friendly English lessons, grammar guides, vocabulary, and spoken English practice, keep visiting eTalk English.

Post a Comment

0 Comments