spoken English online

English Tenses Quiz: 20 Questions with Answers for IELTS, TOEFL & PTE | Day 1 of the 90-Day English Grammar Quiz Challenge!

Welcome to Etalk English – Day 1 of the 90-Day English Grammar Quiz Challenge!

Test your English tenses with 20 intermediate grammar quiz questions, answers, and explanations. Practice present, past, and future tenses for IELTS, TOEFL, and PTE.
English Tenses Quiz: 20 Questions with Answers for IELTS, TOEFL & PTE

 

Do you want to improve your English grammar for IELTS, TOEFL, PTE Academic, Cambridge English exams, or everyday communication? Today's quiz focuses on English tenses, one of the essential foundations of accurate English.

This intermediate-level practice test contains 20 multiple-choice questions covering present, past, and future tenses, perfect tenses, continuous tenses, and mixed-tense usage. Choose the best answer for each question and review the explanations after completing the test.

Challenge: Can you score 16 out of 20 or higher?

Day 1: English Tenses Quiz – 20 Questions

1. She usually _____ to work by bus, but today she is driving.
   A. has gone
   B. is going
   C. go
   D. goes

2. Please be quiet. The baby _____.
   A. has slept
   B. sleeps
   C. slept
   D. is sleeping

3. I _____ this book three times, so I know the story very well.
   A. had read
   B. am reading
   C. read yesterday
   D. have read

4. When we arrived at the cinema, the film _____.
   A. has already started
   B. already starts
   C. had already started
   D. will already start

5. While I _____ dinner, the phone rang.
   A. have cooked
   B. cooked
   C. had cooked
   D. was cooking

6. By next June, she _____ at this university for five years.
   A. will have been studying
   B. has been studying
   C. will have studied
   D. will study

7. I _____ for the bus for forty minutes, and it still hasn't arrived.
   A. am waiting
   B. had been waiting
   C. wait
   D. have been waiting

8. The train _____ at 6:30 tomorrow morning, according to the timetable.
   A. has left
   B. left
   C. leaves
   D. was leaving

9. This time tomorrow, we _____ over the Atlantic Ocean.
   A. have flown
   B. had flown
   C. fly
   D. will be flying

10. He _____ in London since 2021 and still lives there.
   A. has lived
   B. had lived
   C. is living
   D. lived

11. By the time the guests arrived, we _____ the table.
   A. set
   B. have set
   C. had set
   D. will set

12. I didn't recognize Maya because she _____ her hair.
   A. had changed
   B. has changed
   C. will change
   D. changes

13. Don't call me at 9 p.m. tonight; I _____ an online class then.
   A. had attended
   B. will be attending
   C. attend
   D. have attended

14. If it _____ tomorrow, we will cancel the picnic.
   A. will rain
   B. rains
   C. has rained yesterday
   D. rained

15. She _____ her assignment before the deadline yesterday.
   A. has finished
   B. finished
   C. will finish
   D. finishes

16. At the moment, the researchers _____ the final results of the experiment.
   A. had analysed
   B. are analysing
   C. analyse
   D. have analysed

17. When I was a child, I _____ in the river every summer.
   A. am swimming
   B. have swum
   C. used to swim
   D. will swim

18. By the end of this week, I _____ all five chapters.
   A. had read
   B. will have read
   C. read
   D. have read yesterday

19. Select all sentences that use the present perfect correctly in their stated context.
   A. She has finished the report yesterday.
   B. We have known each other for ten years.
   C. He has gone to Paris last Monday.
   D. I have visited Japan twice in my life.

20. In the sentence “I had been studying for two hours when the power went out,” the past perfect continuous describes an activity that was in progress before another past event.
   True
   False

After completing the quiz, revise these important tense patterns:

Tense

Example

Present Simple

She works every day.

Present Continuous

She is working now.

Present Perfect

She has finished her work.

Present Perfect Continuous

She has been working for two hours.

Past Simple

She worked yesterday.

Past Continuous

She was working when I called.

Past Perfect

She had finished before I arrived.

Past Perfect Continuous

She had been working for hours before the break.

Future Simple

She will work tomorrow.

Future Continuous

She will be working at noon.

Future Perfect

She will have finished by Friday.

Future Perfect Continuous

She will have been working here for five years by June.



Post a Comment

0 Comments